Tummy time can be described as your baby’s first exercise. It is as simple as putting a baby or infant on their tummy for short periods every day to help train them. It is very simple but has great benefits for your child.
What are the benefits of consistent tummy time?
- Development of skeletal system
- Development of muscular system
- Development of nervous system
- Builds on other motor skills
- Helps with the reduction of plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome, skull deformity)
- Promotes sensory development
- Creates opportunities to bond with your child
Tips for successful tummy time:
- Tummy time can begin in the first week
- Start with 1-minute sessions
- Aim for 2-3 sessions per day on a firm surface
- Floor with a blanket, not on a bed
- Use props to entertain your child during tummy time
- Toys, no screens
- The younger the child, the simpler the toy should be
At Pediatrics Plus, we aim to give parents every tool possible to assist in the development of their child. With these tips, you can be a part of your child’s development each day.