Self-regulation is the ability to monitor and manage your energy states, emotions, thoughts, and behaviors in ways that are acceptable and produce positive results such as well-being, loving relationships, and learning.
At Pediatrics Plus, we work to give every child the tools to self-regulate through our Therapy Services. We’re intentional about giving parents the correct tools as well, to reiterate what we teach in therapy sessions, so they have every opportunity to use these practices at home. Read more below to learn about fun games or exercises your child can participate in this summer to self-regulate.
How can you tell if your child is struggling with self-regulation?
- Acting overly silly or “out of control”
- Having tantrums or meltdowns
- Having difficulty waiting or taking turns
- Struggles with being in close proximity to others
- Frustration during social interactions
- Grabbing or touching objects impulsively
Summer activities to help your child self-regulate:
- Chalk art
- Duck duck goose
- Freeze tag
- Simon says
- Hide and seek
- Parachute play
- “Counting down” or anticipating activities