Go To A Kid-Focused Salon
- Kid-focused salons typically have fun play areas to enjoy while you wait.
- These salons might even have fun chairs to sit in while you get a trim!
- These hairdressers also have more experience cutting children’s hair.
- The hairdressers also might have more patience if your child gets the wiggles!
Educate Your Child On Haircuts
- Show your child videos of other kids getting their hair cut.
- Read books centered around a haircut.
- Let your child open their own “salon” using toys to help ease the feeling of an unknown place.
Visit The Salon Before The Appointment
- Get familiar with the space by visiting the salon before the appointment.
- Sit in the waiting area and let your child watch a few haircuts to show what to expect.
- Some salons will let your child come in and sit in the chair before the appointment to help imagine what the big day will be like!
Make this day a little extra special! Try bringing one of your child’s favorite stuffed animals to hold while they get their haircut Take photos and videos of them during the trim to show that it’s a big deal and how great they are doing! Finally, if they have a great first haircut, find a way to celebrate afterward! Go out for ice cream, a new toy, or go to the playground!
References for this article include kindercare.com.