Here's what you will need:
- 2 Plastic Bins (one will fit inside the other in the corner to be a small pool)
- We suggest you buy at least one bin that has a lid so you can keep the bin stored all together
- Insta-Snow Powder - you can buy this at most stores, we got it from Hobby Lobby
- Blue Water Jewels - you won't need even 1/4 of this package, you can save it for future fun projects
- Penguins - feel free to get creative on this option, add penguins, or any other fun item that your children can play with!
- Water - for use with the snow and water jewels
How to Make the Sensory Bin:
Make the Snow
If you bought the same brand we did, Insta-Snow Powder, use the small blue spoon to put one heaping scoop of powder in a bowl. Then put room temperature water in the small clear cup (provided) into the powder...get ready...snow is coming!! Continue through this process until you reach the desired amount of snow. If the snow gets dried out completely, you can re-use it by adding water to the powder again!
Make the Water Beads
Now it's time for the pool "water". You can follow directions on the package, but we did 1/4 of the package of water jewels and added 1 bottle of water (16.9 oz).
This process takes a couple of hours to see the full effect. But it's worth it and so fun.
** Fun Tip: You can also use these sort of beads in plants to keep them hydrated!
Add the Penguins
Now you simply can add the penguins to the snow or pool and have fun!
Benefits of Sensory Bins:
- Improves fine motor skills because the child is practicing pinching, pouring, and scooping. Child is able to pick up each penguin and move him from place to place.
- Expands language skills as they describe the different characters in the bin, i.e. what color is the pool, where is this certain penguin, etc.
- Works on social skills by encouraging sharing and communicating if multiple children are playing together.
- Encourages sensory exploration by encouraging various senses such as touching, smelling, hearing, and seeing. The water beads are so fun to feel and play with, as well as the texture of the snow!
- Sensory bins can have a calming effect on overstimulated children.
- Encourages imaginative play and play based learning.
- IT'S FUN!!